Family Fund – £37 million to support children with complex needs
The Government has announced that the Family Fund will receive funding of £37.3m in 2020-21.
More details of the announcement can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/37-million-to-support-children-with-complex-needs £10 million of the total has been committed to support families in response to the Covid-19 pandemic which is expected to help more than 75,000 families in England.
The multi-million-pound settlement will help low-income families with seriously ill or disabled children with the cost of vital equipment to make their lives easier, including computers, specialist equipment, sensory and educational toys. The grants are typically worth £400 to £500 per family but vary depending on need.
Families can apply to Family Fund if:
- They are the parent or carer of a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 0-17
- They are currently living in the UK and done so for at least six months, or three months if your child is less than six months old
- Their child is not in Local Authority care
- They receive any one of the following:
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Pension Credit.
- Their child or young person has a high level of additional support needs arising from a long term disability or disabling condition or a serious or life limiting illness.
Please visit the Family Fund website for more information about eligibility and how to apply.