Year 12 Students Attend Drive 2 Arrive Event
20 Year 12 students attended a Drive 2 Arrive event at Walsall Football Club recently, organised by Walsall, Wolverhampton, Sandwell and Dudley councils. It was set up to introduce students to important information associated with becoming a responsible driver.
During the day students experienced 5 interactive scenarios presented by West Midlands Fire Service (Casualty Reduction Team), Central Motorway Police Group, The Beacon (Young Person’s Substance Misuse Service) and Highways England. In addition each student had a driving session with an instructor from the ‘Young Driver’ company.
It was an excellent day that met the following aims:
To equip the students with knowledge to make them better, safer drivers and passengers and above all give them the confidence to speak out when they know that they are vulnerable and in a situation in which they feel uncomfortable.
They were guided through the following objectives:
- Identify the causes in the majority of road collisions and discuss the consequences
- Understand the need to be fit to drive
- Have an understanding of the documentation required to become a driver
- Recognise the moral dilemmas involved in drink/drugs and driving and subsequent consequences
- Experience the complexities of driving (off road)
- Understand what to do in the event of an incident on the main road network